KHIB Mission Statement
The mission of Keep the Hawaiian Islands Beautiful is to engage individuals to take greater responsibility for improving the community environment and preserving the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands.
KHIB Vision Statement
Hawaii's citizens and visitors are engaged through the Keep America Beautiful system with the opportunity to help keep the Hawaiian Islands beautiful, clean and healthy.
Keep the Hawaiian Islands Beautiful fulfills its mission through a variety of activities statewide including participation in several national programs. To date, we offer the following ways to get involved:
- Litter Prevention and Control
- Beautification and Community Greening
- Solid Waste Initiatives / Recycling
- Community Improvements
Keep the Hawaiian Islands Beautiful, a 501(c)-3 affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, Inc, serves as the state leader affiliate to coordinate the statewide involvement of Hawaii's local programs. This includes, but is not limited to, environmental education curriculum, Litter Hot Line, Uncovered Truck Law, Keep America Beautiful initiatives, The Great American Clean-up, and Annual Laulima Conference. Kanahā Beach Park restoration and protection of dunes, wetlands, and native species plantings, AmeriCorps nine week annual service projects, and foster the establishment of the Patsy Takemoto Mink Center for Environmental Education.
KHIB Headquarters is located at the Old Maui High School, Building 4 at 1000 Holomua Road, Hamakuapoko.
- Great American Clean-up March 1 – May 31
- Make a Difference Day
- America Recycles Day November 15
- Cigarette Litter Prevention Program
- KAB National Conference
- Environmental Court
- KAB Initiatives and Good Standing Training
- Annual Laulima Conference
- Aloha ‘Aina Earth Day Recycling Community Clean-ups
- School sites, e-cycling
- Get the Drift and Bag it
- Promoting public-private partnerships
- Recycling initiatives
- Tires In Waianae
- Ship unloading from Midway Island, Palmyra and NW Hawaiian
Islands in Honolulu
- Planting native Hawaiian plants/organic gardening
- Collaboration with shoreline wetlands, streams and reforestation projects
- Supporting establishment of Environmental Court concept in Hawaii
- Educational Curriculum/Hotline
- Beautification Gardens in Kauai
- Environmental Court